The 3 things I love about the best birthday cake ever are:
(1) This cake is a fraction of the cost of store-bought cakes.
(2) This cake is ideal for a “1st Birthday” because babies can stick hands, and even their face in it. <smile>
(3) This cake is always a hit with the crowd and makes a great family tradition, as it did in our family.
What You Will Need:
1 already prepared angel food cake, found in your grocery’s bakery
1 1/2 gallon of ice cream, slightly softened
1 (16 oz) container of Cool Whip, thawed
sprinkles or other decorations of your choice and candles
I cannot tell you when this cake originated and became a tradition in our family, but I am pretty sure it was during my childhood. The best part? It involves the ice cream of your choice. My Mama was known for using Neapolitan, a combo of strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla, but me, I like to choose the birthday celebrant’s favorite flavor.
Don't just count your years, make your years count. George Meredith
I’ve been known to use Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey for Donny and Cookies and Cream, like I did a few weeks ago to mark our son, Walker’s 24th Birthday. Whatever flavor you choose, the results will always equal success. I can guarantee this, after many, many times of serving this easiest and best birthday cake ever!
- Make a space for your cake plate in your freezer. (Check both height and width to ensure sides of cake will not touch the wall of freezer)
- Using a bread knife, carefully slice the cake into three layers, placing one layer on your cake plate. Don’t worry if it tears some, just piece it back together.
- Using a soft spreader, take approximately 1/2 of your softened ice cream, spread over this first layer.
- Top with second cake layer and repeat with ice cream.
- Top with third layer of cake.
- Set in freezer for 30 minutes or so to refreeze.
- Spread thawed Cool Whip over cake using it like icing and covering the entire cake well.
- Decorate as desired and store in freezer until ready to place candles on it.
- Place on counter for a few minutes before adding candles and singing “Happy Birthday”.
- Depending on how large your slices are and what age you are serving, you should have 12-15 servings.
Notice the Memory Tablecloth in the picture below. Click here to make one.
This easy cake would also make a very
special Easter dessert,
decorated in pastel colors.
Happy Spring Everyone!