When I think about when our children were small, in our home, and growing day-by-day, one of my favorite memories is definitely the times we had a bunch of our friends over to our home for a service project. Whether it was a MUST Ministries Summer Lunch Party or an Operation Christmas Child Shoebox Party, we always had so much fun and I believe seeds of compassion were planted not only in our two children’s hearts, but in the heart of every child who came. I believe children learn best by example, especially when they are small, impressionable, and growing. These parties helped to make Leah and Walker who they are today, married grown-ups who care about others they may find in their path.
If you still have children or teens under your roof, or even a grandchild who lives nearby, you may want to take advantage of this opportunity to plant seeds of compassion into the hearts of the ones you are helping to mold. Simply invite a bunch of kids and break them into small groups of 4-6. Assign a Mom volunteer or two to hang with each group and then rotate the groups through 3-5 stations. The stations might be : 1-story time where you read them a book about this shoebox ministry or another story about the importance of helping others, 2- wrap shoeboxes with gift wrap 3- pack boxes with items, 4-a coloring/craft station, and 5-a snack station.
Or here is an idea! If you are a grandparent, put together a box for a child who is the same age as a grandchild!
Actually, this would be a fantastic project for anyone of any age, because we all know how good it feels when we make a difference in another human’s life!
You should be able to pack a shoebox for between $25-$45, while the impact you will have on a child in need is priceless.
How To Pack Your Shoebox for a trip around the world:
1. Get a shoebox and decide if you want to pack it for a girl or a boy and choose the age category-2-4, 5-9, OR 10-14.
2. Select a quality “WOW” toy such as a doll, soccer ball with pump, or stuffed animal.
3. Fill with other fun toys, hygiene items, and school supplies.
4. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift, include a personal note and a photo.
5. Donate $7 cash (place in shoebox with your items) to send your gift overseas. Discover the destination of your shoebox through Follow Your Box online (www.samaritanspurse.org/occ)
6. Take your shoebox gift to a local drop-off location during National Collection Week: November 14-21, 2016.