While it may not feel much like it where you are, today, March 20th, marks the first day of Spring. As I was sitting in my car waiting for a friend yesterday, I started thinking about ways I could get ready for Spring. This time last year, my mind was like a beam, looking ahead to March 29, 2014, the day our first born would marry her best friend. I don’t think I even noticed the first day of Spring in 2014. And this year, with our dear friend’s recent loss, I want more than ever to find Spring in my days. Here are a few ways I will choose to get ready for Spring:
(1) LISTEN to the birds. As I was sitting in my car yesterday, with my windows down, it occurred to me how loud the birds were singing. They are announcing Spring to us. Will I stop and listen to their singing? Will I pay attention to the bright colors of their wings?
(3) BREATHE. This sounds so obvious, but do I take time for deep breathing in my day? Try this:
FOUR-SEVEN-EIGHT BREATHING EXERCISE
through your nose,
Hold for a full count of
through your mouth
for a full count of EIGHT,
(4) Take a walk, if only for a few minutes. [pullquote] I am going to try to pay attention to the spring. I am going to look around at all the flowers and look up at the trees. I am going to close my eyes and listen.” Anne Lamott (a favorite author of mine, 1954-)[/pullquote]
(5) Have coffee outside with a friend.
(7) Wake up a few minutes early in order to have time for 4-7-8 and
a chance to listen out for the birds announcing Spring.[pullquote]
Don’t go back to sleep.” Rumi (1207-1273)[/pullquote]
(8) Keep a running list of things I am grateful for as I reflect on the meaning of Easter.